1. This lesson is a study of 2 John.
2. Several matters addressed in 1 John are also addressed in this letter.
I. GENERAL INFORMATION
A. The writer of this letter is not revealed by name.
1. He referred to himself as "the elder" [one of advanced age] (vs.1).
2. A number of uninspired sources identify the apostle John as the writer.
B. This letter was addressed to "the elect lady and her children" (vs.1).
1. Some consider "the elect lady" to have been a congregation, with "her children" being its members.
2. However, several statements indicate that "the elect lady" was an actual Christian woman.
a. She was known and loved by John and others (vs.1).
b. She had children who were "walking in truth" (vs.4).
c. From the warning in vs.10, it appears that she was hospitable to others.
II. OUTLINE (Highers)
A. (vs.1-3) Address and Greeting
1. (vs.1a) Addressed by "the elder" unto "the elect lady and her children"
2. (vs.1b-2) Love for those who walk in truth
3. (vs.3) Salutation of grace, mercy and peace from the Father and the Son
B. (vs.4) Occasion of Rejoicing
1. Commendation of certain of her children
2. Provides occasion for writing
C. (vs.5-6) Exhortation to Love and Obedience
1. (vs.5) Admonition to love one another
2. (vs.6) Love manifested by keeping the commandments
D. (vs.7-9) Warnings Against False Doctrine
1. (vs.7a) Many deceivers have gone forth
2. (vs.7b) Marked by denial that Jesus came in the flesh
3. (vs.8) Exhortation to vigilance
4. (vs.9) Those who advance beyond the teaching of Christ have not God
E. (vs.10-11) Warnings Against Compromise
1. (vs.10) False teachers not to be greeted or encouraged
2. (vs.11) Giving shelter to false teachers is tantamount to partaking in their evil works
F. (vs.12-13) Conclusion
1. (vs.12) Expectation of a personal visit and desire to speak further face to face
2. (vs.13) Salutation from children of an elect sister.
III. IMPORTANT POINTS OF INFORMATION REVEALED IN 2 JOHN
A. Certain key terms are emphasized in vs.1-6.
1. "Truth" appears 5 times; "love" appears 4 times; and "commandment" appears 4 times.
2. All of these terms are mentioned in connection with the way that God's children are to walk.
a. God's children must walk in truth (vs.4).
b. God's children must walk in love (vs.5).
c. God's children must walk after His commandments (vs.6a).
B. The antichrist is identified (vs.7; 1 John 2:22; 4:2-3).
C. Christians must look to themselves to prevent losing their reward (vs.8).
D. Christians must abide in the doctrine of Christ (vs.9; John 8:31-32; 14:23-24).
E. Christians must not condone false teaching by providing for the false teacher (vs.10-11;
Matthew 7:15-20; Romans 16:17-18; 1 Timothy 6:3-5; Titus 3:10-11).