The Beatitudes Lesson 03
1. Jesus began His Sermon on the Mount by giving "the Beatitudes" (Matthew 5:3-12).
2. In the Beatitudes,:
a. Jesus explained how people who possess certain characteristics are "blessed" [spiritually happy,
well off, fortunate]
b. Jesus revealed the special blessings that God gives to those who possess these characteristics.
3. In this lesson we are beginning a 2-part study of the first Beatitude in Matthew 5:3: "Blessed are the
poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven".
4. As we study this Beatitude, we are:
a. showing what it means to be "poor in spirit"
b. examining a number of Scriptures that relate to being "poor in spirit."
I. WHAT IT MEANS TO BE "POOR IN SPIRIT"
A. James Tolle defined poverty in spirit as "that spirit of deep humility that causes a person to recognize
his frailties and weaknesses as a fallible human being, that makes him aware of his spiritual needs
and thus of his utter dependence on God."
B. People who are "poor in spirit:"
1. are aware of their spiritual needs (Romans 3:23)
2. recognize their spiritual condition (Romans 6:23a)
3. depend upon God for salvation (Psalm 51:1-2).
C. Bible characters who possessed this Beatitude:
1. David (Psalm 51:17)
2. Isaiah (Isaiah 6:1-8)
3. Jeremiah (Jeremiah 10:23-24)
4. the woman who anointed Jesus (Luke 7:36-50).
D. The opposite of being "poor in spirit" is pride.
1. Pride is addressed in Proverbs 28:26a; 8:13.
2. Bible characters who had problems with pride:
a. the disciples (Matthew 18:1-4)
b. the scribes and Pharisees (Matthew 23:5-7, 25-28)
c. the church in Laodicea (Revelation 3:14-18).
E. In the parable of the Pharisee and the publican (Luke 18:9-14), which one was "poor in spirit?"
II. SCRIPTURES THAT RELATE TO BEING "POOR IN SPIRIT"
A. 2 Chronicles 7:14
B. Proverbs 29:23
C. Isaiah 57:15
D. James 4:6, 10
E. 1 Peter 5:5-6
1. The Scriptures help us to understand what it means to be "poor in spirit."
2. Those who possess this characteristic will receive a great blessing: "for theirs is the kingdom
3. In our next lesson we will continue our study of this Beatitude by looking at some additional Bible