God's Will Concerning Homosexual Marriage
1. Last Tuesday Florida began issuing same-sex marriage licenses.
2. News reports indicate that many people are happy about this.
3. Perhaps now is a good time for us to be reminded of "God's will concerning homosexual marriage."
4. While homosexual marriage is the specific subject we are studying, let us also consider a very
important general principle -- just because some activity is legal does not mean that it has God's approval.
a. The Bible teaches in Romans 13:1 that Christians are to obey the laws of the land.
b. However, when a manmade law violates God's law, we must follow the example set by the apostles
in Acts 5:29: "We ought to obey God rather than men."
5. Let us begin our study by showing that . . .
I. GOD REVEALED HIS WILL CONCERNING MARRIAGE AT CREATION
A. God made Adam and Eve on the 6th day (Genesis 1:26-28; 2:7, 21-22).
B. God ordained marriage for a man and a woman (Genesis 2:24).
C. God's plan for marriage has not changed (Matthew 19:4-6; Ephesians 5:31).
II. GOD DID NOT APPROVE OF HOMOSEXUAL MARRIAGE DURING THE TIME
OF THE PATRIARCHS
A. (Genesis 12:1-3) God chose Abraham to be the father of His chosen people [the Israelites].
B. The Gentiles had become so wicked that God gave them up (Romans 1:18-32).
C. Homosexuality was one of the sins practiced by the Gentiles (Romans 1:26-27).
D. The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah illustrates the wickedness of the Gentiles.
1. The people of Sodom were wicked when Lot moved there (Genesis 13:13).
2. Later, the Lord inspected the wickedness of Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 18:20-21).
3. Two angels discovered how wicked Sodom was (Genesis 19:1-14).
4. The Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 19:24-25).
III. GOD DID NOT APPROVE OF HOMOSEXUAL MARRIAGE WHEN THE LAW
OF MOSES WAS IN EFFECT
A. The Law of Moses prohibited homosexuality (Leviticus 20:13; Deuteronomy 23:17).
B. Even though the law was very clear, Judah's kings responded to it differently.
1. Rehoboam disobeyed by allowing sodomites to exist in Judah (1 Kings 14:21-24).
2. The sodomites were expelled by Judah's good kings, including:
a. Asa (1 Kings 15:11-12)
b. Jehoshaphat (1 Kings 22:45-46)
c. Josiah (2 Kings 23:7).
3. The presence of sodomites was an indication of Judah's moral condition.
IV. GOD DOES NOT APPROVE OF HOMOSEXUAL MARRIAGE IN THE CHRISTIAN AGE
A. Homosexuals are among those who will not inherit God's kingdom (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).
B. "Fornication" [illicit sexual activity, including homosexuality] is a work of the flesh that will prevent
a person from inheriting God's kingdom (Galatians 5:19-21).
1. Do you suppose that the people who lived in Sodom and Gomorrah would like to give us some advice?
2. What happened to them is mentioned for our benefit in Jude 7.