The Deity of Christ
1. The Bible teaches in Psalm 85:6 that God's people need to be revived continually.
2. To be revived we must follow the example of the psalmist: "I will hear what God the Lord will speak"
3. The Bible contains a number of great themes that need to be studied regularly.
4. As we consider information relating to 13 of these themes, let us allow God to revive us.
5. The second great theme of the Bible we are covering is: "the deity of Christ."
I. THE DEITY OF CHRIST HAS BEEN A MISUNDERSTOOD SUBJECT FOR MANY
A. During the Lord's ministry, some people considered Him to be one of God's servants from the past
B. Also, John wrote about some people who denied that:
1. Jesus is the Christ (1 John 2:22-23)
2. Jesus Christ came in the flesh (1 John 4:1-3).
C. Although people have misunderstood the deity of Christ for many years,:
1. the apostle Peter showed how we can know that Jesus is "the Christ, the Son of the living God"
2. the apostle John showed how we can know that Jesus is the Christ and that He came in the flesh
(1 John 1:1-4).
II. JOHN BEGAN HIS GOSPEL BY DECLARING THE DEITY OF CHRIST (John 1:1-3)
A. In dealing with this subject John went back to "the beginning."
B. In the beginning Christ existed as "the Word."
C. John declared the deity of Christ by showing how:
1. He was a member of the eternal Godhead
2. He was the Creator (Colossians 1:16-17).
III. JOHN CONTINUED HIS GOSPEL BY DECLARING THE DEITY OF CHRIST AFTER
HE CAME IN THE FLESH
A. John showed how "the Word was made flesh" (John 1:14).
B. John recorded certain miracles of Jesus to prove that He is divine (John 20:30-31), including:
1. turning water into wine (John 2:1-11)
2. healing the nobleman's son (John 4:46-54)
3. healing the impotent man (John 5:1-9)
4. feeding the 5,000 (John 6:1-13)
5. walking on the water (John 6:16-21)
6. giving sight to a man born blind (John 9:1-7)
7. raising Lazarus (John 11:1-45)
8. the great catch of fish (John 21:1-11).
C. John also declared the deity of Christ by recording the testimony of:
1. John the Baptist (John 1:32-34)
2. Andrew (John 1:40-41)
3. Philip (John 1:45)
4. Nathanael (John 1:49)
5. the Samaritans (John 4:40-42)
6. Martha (John 11:27).
IV. BELIEF IN THE DEITY OF CHRIST SHOULD CAUSE US TO BE REVIVED
A. It prevented Peter and the other apostles from leaving Jesus (John 6:66-69).
B. It will help the troubled heart (John 14:1).
C. It will enable the Lord's followers to overcome the world (1 John 5:5).
D. It gives the assurance of eternal life (1 John 5:13).