The Fruit of the Spirit 01
1. The fruit of the Spirit consists of 9 special characteristics listed in Galatians 5:22-23.
2. To help us better understand and appreciate the importance of bearing the fruit of the Spirit, we are
beginning a study of these characteristics.
3. In this lesson we are covering some introductory information.
I. LET US EXAMINE SEVERAL INSTRUCTIONS THAT RELATE TO BEARING THE FRUIT OF
A. Christians are to "be filled with the Spirit" (Ephesians 5:18).
1. Being filled with the Spirit is conditional (Romans 8:9-11) -- it is a responsibility that each Christian
2. Although drunkenness is forbidden, there is a similarity between being filled with alcohol and being
filled with the Spirit -- the desire to be filled with both is acquired.
B. To help us in acquiring the desire to be filled with the Spirit, we must "walk in the Spirit,"
(Galatians 5:16-17), "live in the Spirit" (Galatians 5:25), and sow "to the Spirit" (Galatians 6:8).
II. LET US EXAMINE 4 PRINCIPLES THAT RELATE TO BEARING THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT
A. First, when we become God's children we are to bear the fruit of the Spirit (Ephesians 5:6-10).
1. Although many in the world look down on the fruit of the Spirit, God considers these characteristics
to be very special.
2. By bearing the fruit of the Spirit we show that we have turned from darkness to light, and we meet
B. Second, a tree is recognized by the fruit that it bears (Luke 6:43-45).
1. A good tree bears good fruit, and a bad tree bears bad fruit.
2. Those who walk in, live in, and sow to the flesh will bear "the works of the flesh" listed in
3. Those who walk in, live in, and sow to the Spirit will bear "the fruit of the Spirit."
C. Third, the law of sowing and reaping applies to the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 6:7-8).
1. We can choose to sow to the flesh, or we can choose to sow to the Spirit.
2. We will reap on the basis of how we sow.
D. Fourth, Christ requires His followers to bear much fruit (John 15:8).
1. Bearing much fruit glorifies God.
2. It also identifies us as the Lord's followers.