Jesus Is With His Followers
1. We recently studied a series of lessons in which we emphasized the fact that "God does not forsake
2. This principle is stated many times throughout the Bible.
a. In the Old Testament,:
1) Moses assured the Israelites that God would not forsake them (Deuteronomy 31:6)
2) God said that He would not forsake Joshua (Joshua 1:5)
3) David assured Solomon that God would not forsake him (1 Chronicles 28:20).
b. In the New Testament we learn that God will not forsake Christians (Hebrews 13:5-6).
3. In this lesson we are concentrating on the fact that "Jesus is with His followers."
I. JESUS PROMISED TO BE WITH HIS FOLLOWERS
A. Jesus made this promise when He gave the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20).
B. Jesus said He would "always" be with His followers.
C. Jesus is with those who gather together in His name (Matthew 18:20).
II. THE LORD'S FOLLOWERS ARE BLESSED BY HIS PRESENCE IN VARIOUS WAYS
A. Jesus is our "mediator" (1 Timothy 2:5).
1. A mediator is a go-between, one who mediates between 2 parties to make peace.
2. To illustrate, Moses was a mediator between the Israelites and God (Exodus 32:7-14).
3. Jesus is the "one mediator between God and men."
B. Jesus is our "intercessor" (Romans 8:34).
1. An intercessor is one who makes a petition on behalf of someone else.
2. According to Hebrews 7:25, Jesus "ever liveth to make intercession" for those who "come unto
God by Him."
C. Jesus is our "High Priest" (Hebrews 3:1).
1. One of the main functions of the High Priest is to offer sacrifices on behalf of the people
2. Jesus offered Himself as a perfect sacrifice once for all (Hebrews 7:26-27; 10:11-14).
3. As High Priest, Jesus provides special blessings to His followers (Hebrews 4:14-16).
D. Jesus is our "advocate" [a counselor, one who pleads another's case] (1 John 2:1-2).
III. TWO OF THE LORD'S GREATEST SERVANTS SHOW HOW HE IS WITH HIS FOLLOWERS
A. Stephen knew that Jesus was with him when he was killed (Acts 7:54-60).
B. Paul knew that Jesus was with him when he was in prison (2 Timothy 4:16-18