The Ministry of the Holy Spirit
1. According to Psalm 85:6, God's people need to be revived continually.
2. One of the keys to revival is revealed in Psalm 85:8: "I will hear what God the Lord will speak."
3. We are presently studying 13 great themes that are addressed throughout the Bible.
4. Our purpose for studying these great themes is to provide information from the Bible that will help us
when we need to be revived.
5. The third great Bible theme we are examining is "the ministry of the Holy Spirit."
I. THE HOLY SPIRIT REVEALED THE TRUTH
A. A short time before He was crucified, Jesus said that He would send the Holy Spirit to the apostles
B. The apostles would need assistance as they carried out the Lord's Great Commission
1. The Holy Spirit would help the apostles remember the Lord's teachings (John 14:26).
2. The apostles needed to know additional teachings from the Lord that they were not able to bear
at that time (John 16:12).
3. The Holy Spirit would guide the apostles into all truth (John 16:13).
C. We learn from Hebrews 2:3-4 that God bore witness to the apostles' teaching through various miracles
and gifts of the Holy Spirit.
D. As we study the writings of the apostles we are able to learn the truth that was taught by Jesus and
revealed through the Holy Spirit.
II. THE HOLY SPIRIT INTERCEDES ON BEHALF OF CHRISTIANS
A. Christians face certain challenges while praying.
B. One challenge involves sin.
1. The Bible teaches in 1 John 1:8, 10 that everyone sins.
2. This is a challenge because there is no darkness in God (1 John 1:5).
3. Thankfully, Christ intercedes on our behalf in this regard so we can approach God with confidence.
a. Romans 8:34
b. Hebrews 7:25
c. Hebrews 4:14-16
C. Another challenge is communicating with God.
1. The Holy Spirit helps "our infirmities" (Romans 8:26a).
2. He intercedes for Christians as we pray (Romans 8:26b-27).
III. THE HOLY SPIRIT ENABLES CHRISTIANS TO BEAR FRUIT
A. God has given His people instructions that involve the Holy Spirit, including:
1. being filled with the Spirit (Ephesians 5:18)
2. walking in the Spirit (Galatians 5:16)
3. being led by the Spirit (Galatians 5:18)
4. living in the Spirit (Galatians 5:25)
5. sowing to the Spirit (Galatians 6:7-8).
B. Those who practice these instructions will bear "the fruit of the Spirit" (Galatians 5:22-23): love, joy,
peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance.
1. Taking advantage of these blessings provided by the Holy Spirit will result in revival.
2. Therefore, let us:
a. continue in the Lord's Word so we will know the truth (John 8:31-32)
b. pray fervently at all times (John 16:23-24)
c. bear much fruit (John 15:8).