The Faith of Elijah - 2
1. In Hebrews 11:32 "the prophets" are mentioned in connection with their faith.
2. The prophets:
a. are included in the great "cloud of witnesses" mentioned in Hebrews 12:1
b. served in the past as God's spokesmen (Hebrews 1:1).
3. One of the greatest prophets was Elijah.
4. Review (1 Kings 17-18:16):
a. Elijah is introduced in 17:1.
1) He served as a prophet when Ahab was king of Israel.
2) Ahab had influenced many Israelites to worship Baal (1 Kings 16:29-33).
b. Elijah demonstrated his faith by following God's instructions to go to:
1) a place where ravens would supply him with food (17:2-7)
2) Zarephath where a widow would sustain him (17:8-10a).
c. Elijah proved that he was a true prophet by:
1) supplying the widow with meal and oil (17:10b-16)
2) raising the widow's son (17:17-24).
d. God directed Elijah to appear before Ahab (18:1-6).
1) In the third year God said that He would send rain (18:1).
2) Samaria had been affected by a severe famine (18:2).
3) Obadiah is introduced (18:3-6).
a) He was the governor of Ahab's household.
b) He feared God, and he had hidden and sustained 100 prophets.
c) Ahab instructed him to search for an area that would sustain the livestock.
e. Elijah sent Obadiah to tell Ahab that he was present (18:7-16).
1) Ahab had been searching for Elijah.
2) Obadiah was concerned that Ahab would not find Elijah and that Ahab would kill him.
3) Elijah assured Obadiah that he would meet Abab that day.
5. Elijah demonstrated his faith in a powerful way in 1 Kings 18:17-46.
I. (vs.17-20) ELIJAH DIRECTED AHAB TO GATHER THE ISRAELITES AND THE
PROPHETS OF BAAL AT MOUNT CARMEL
II. (vs.21-24) ELIJAH ISSUED A CHALLENGE TO THE PROPHETS OF BAAL
III. (vs.25-29) BAAL DID NOT RESPOND TO THE PLEAS OF HIS PROPHETS
IV. (vs.30-40) GOD RESPONDED TO ELIJAH'S PLEA
V. (vs.41-46) GOD SENT A GREAT RAIN
A. 2 Chronicles 6:26-27; 7:12-14
B. James 5:17-18
C. 1 Peter 1:13