The Fruit of the Spirit 06
1. "The fruit of the Spirit" consists of 9 special characteristics listed in Galatians 5:22-23.
2. The fifth of these characteristics is "gentleness" [also translated "kindness"]: having a mild disposition
that is sympathetic and forbearing toward others.
I. THE BIBLE TEACHES CHRISTIANS TO BE GENTLE AND KIND
A. (1 Corinthians 13:4) Christian love [charity] "is kind."
B. (Ephesians 4:32) Christians are to be "kind one to another."
C. (Colossians 3:12) Christians are to put on "kindness."
D. (Titus 3:2) Christians are to be "gentle."
II. THE BIBLE ALSO TEACHES CHRISTIANS HOW TO BE GENTLE AND KIND
A. (Ephesians 4:29-32) Being kind:
1. is associated with being tenderhearted and forgiving
2. is contrasted with corrupt communication, bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, evil speaking, and malice.
B. (Colossians 3:8-13) Kindness:
1. is associated with mercy, humility, meekness, longsuffering, forbearance, and forgiveness
2. is contrasted with anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication, and lying.
C. (Titus 3:1-2) Being gentle:
1. is associated with meekness
2. is contrasted with speaking evil of others and brawling.
D. Gentleness and kindness can be demonstrated without words; however, they are often mentioned in
connection with our words (ex. -- Proverbs 31:26).
E. Since this is the case, we must pay close attention to passages that relate to our speech.
1. Gentleness and kindness will be reflected by the speech mentioned in Colossians 4:6.
2. A lengthy discussion of the tongue is given in James 3:2-18.
a. (vs.2) A perfect person bridles his tongue and does not use offensive speech.
b. (vs.3-8) Even though it is very small, the tongue is very powerful.
1) It may be used for good purposes if it is controlled.
2) It may be used for evil purposes if it is not controlled.
c. (vs.9-12) Blessing God and cursing men with the tongue is inconsistent.
d. (vs.13-18) Earthly wisdom and heavenly wisdom are contrasted [gentleness is associated with