The Faith of Elijah - 3
1. In Hebrews 11:32 "the prophets" are mentioned in connection with their faith.
2. One of the greatest prophets was Elijah.
3. We read about his activities in 1 Kings 17 - 2 Kings 2.
4. Review (1 Kings 17-18):
a. God had cared for Elijah by sustaining him through various means.
1) (17:2-7) Ravens fed Elijah.
2) (17:8-16) A widow sustained Elijah.
b. God had performed some great works through Elijah.
1) (17:17-24) The widow's son was raised.
2) (18:17-40) The prophets of Baal were destroyed.
3) (18:41-45) A severe drought was ended.
c. Elijah was a man of great strength, courage, and faith.
1) (17:1) He announced the drought to Ahab.
2) (18:1-16) He obeyed God's instructions to appear before Ahab.
3) (18:46) He ran before Ahab's chariot from Mount Carmel to Jezreel.
5. After he won a great victory over the prophets of Baal Elijah's faith was tested, and he
became a victim of discouragement.
6. Thankfully, Elijah overcame his discouragement so he could accomplish the work that God
had for him to do.
I. (1 Kings 19:1-4) ELIJAH FLED FROM JEZEBEL
A. (vs.1) Ahab informed Jezebel that Elijah had destroyed the prophets of Baal.
1. Jezebel was a wicked queen (1 Kings 16:31-32).
2. She had attempted to destroy the Lord's prophets (1 Kings 18:4).
B. (vs.2) Jezebel threatened to take Elijah's life.
C. (vs.3) Elijah fled for his life, leaving his servant at Beersheba.
D. (vs.4) Elijah went into the wilderness alone.
1. He sat under a juniper tree and asked God to take his life.
2. Similar requests were made by other discouraged men, including:
a. Job (Job 3:1-6)
b. Jeremiah (Jeremiah 20:14-15).
II. (1 Kings 19:5-8) GOD PROVIDED FOOD AND WATER FOR ELIJAH
A. God had sustained Elijah earlier.
B. God was still present to provide Elijah's needs.
III. (1 Kings 19:9-14) GOD CONFRONTED ELIJAH
IV. (1 Kings 19:15-18) GOD GAVE INSTRUCTIONS TO ELIJAH AND
V. (1 Kings 19:19-21) ELIJAH CALLED ELISHA TO SUCCEED HIM
VI. (2 Kings 2:1-11) ELIJAH WAS EVENTUALLY TAKEN INTO HEAVEN
BY A WHIRLWIND