There Is One Faith
1. We are presently studying a series of lessons designed to help us know the truth concerning the
7 unique subjects listed in Ephesians 4:4-6.
2. We have examined passages that relate to the "one body," the "one Spirit," the "one hope," and the
3. In this lesson we are concentrating on the "one faith" mentioned in vs.5.
I. THE BIBLE SPEAKS ABOUT "FAITH" IN DIFFERENT SENSES
A. Many times "faith" refers to belief or trust in God (Hebrews 11:6; Romans 10:17).
B. The Bible also contains a number of references to "the faith" that are of special interest to us in this study.
1. Acts 6:7
a. In connection with people learning God's Word and becoming disciples, note that "a great
company of the priests were obedient to the faith."
b. "The faith" is associated with God's Word, and it can be obeyed.
2. Acts 24:24
a. While Paul was in custody, Felix "heard him concerning the faith in Christ."
b. "The faith" can be taught, and it can be heard [a message].
3. Galatians 1:20-24
a. Paul was giving a biographical sketch of his life.
1) Before he became a Christian, he did his best to destroy Christianity.
2) After he was converted, he preached "the faith" [a message].
b. The message Paul preached is revealed in Galatians 1:11-12 [the Gospel that the Lord had
revealed to him].
4. We learn from these passages that "the faith" is the body of doctrines revealed by Christ in the
5. This is the "one faith" mentioned in Ephesians 4:5 -- it is to be taught, it is to be heard, and it is to
II. THE BIBLE CONTAINS NUMEROUS INSTRUCTIONS THAT RELATE TO THE
A. (Acts 14:21-22) God's people are "to continue in the faith."
B. (Acts 16:4-5) The church is to be "established in the faith."
C. (1 Corinthians 16:13) God's people are to "stand fast in the faith."
D. (2 Corinthians 13:5) We are to examine ourselves to determine if we are in "the faith."
E. (Philippians 1:27) God's people are to strive together with one mind for "the faith of the Gospel."
F. (2 Timothy 4:7-8) A great reward will be given to those who keep "the faith."
G. (Jude 3) God's people are to earnestly contend for "the faith" that was delivered once for all.
III. THE BIBLE ALSO CONTAINS NUMEROUS WARNINGS THAT RELATE TO THE
A. (Acts 13:8) We must not allow anyone to turn us away from "the faith."
B. (1 Timothy 4:1) We must not "depart from the faith" by embracing false doctrines.
C. (1 Timothy 5:8) We must not deny "the faith" by failing to fulfill our domestic responsibilities.
D. (1 Timothy 6:10) We must not allow covetousness to cause us to err from "the faith."
E. (1 Timothy 6:20-21) We must not allow false teaching to cause us to err concerning "the faith."
F. (2 Timothy 3:8) We must not become "reprobate concerning the faith" by resisting the truth.
G. (Titus 1:12-14) We must reject anything that will cause us not to be "sound in the faith."