Jesus Overcame the World
1. In John 16:33 Jesus mentioned the things He had spoken to the apostles [His words recorded
2. Jesus revealed His purpose for saying these things [that the apostles might have peace in Him].
3. Even though the apostles would face tribulation in the world, they could "be of good cheer."
4. The apostles could be of good cheer because Jesus had "overcome" [to conquer, to prevail,
to gain the victory] the world.
a. By overcoming the world, Jesus had conquered the world, He had prevailed against the world,
and He had gained the victory over the world.
b. The fact that Jesus overcame the world was a source of encouragement to the apostles -- it
is also a source of encouragement to us.
5. Let us examine . . .
I. SOME WAYS IN WHICH JESUS OVERCAME THE WORLD
A. Jesus overcame Satan's temptations after He was baptized (Mark 1:9-13).
B. Jesus overcame difficult experiences, including:
1. the loss of:
a. a family member: John (Matthew 14:10-13)
b. a close friend: Lazarus (John 11:35-36)
2. rejection by His disciples (John 6:66), His family (John 7:5), and His countrymen (John 8:59)
3. betrayal (John 18:3-5)
4. unjust treatment (John 19:1-3)
5. being forsaken by His close friends (Matthew 26:56).
C. Jesus overcame resentment and retaliation (1 Peter 2:21-23).
D. The Bible shows how we can benefit from the example set by Jesus as He overcame the world
(Hebrews 4:15-16; 12:1-3).
E. In addition to overcoming the world Himself, . . .
II. JESUS WANTS HIS FOLLOWERS TO OVERCOME THE WORLD
A. According to 1 John 5:4-5, requirements for overcoming the world include:
2. believing that Jesus is God's Son
3. being born of God.
B. We learn from Romans 12:17-21 that the Lord's followers are to overcome evil with good.
C. In His messages to the 7 churches of Asia Jesus revealed the blessings in store for those who
1. Revelation 2:7 (Ephesus)
2. Revelation 2:11 (Smyrna)
3. Revelation 2:17 (Pergamos)
4. Revelation 2:26 (Thyatira)
5. Revelation 3:5 (Sardis)
6. Revelation 3:12 (Philadelphia)
7. Revelation 3:21 (Laodicea)
D. Additional blessings are revealed in Revelation 21:7.
1. In John 16:33 Jesus said that He had overcome the world.
2. Can you make the same statement?