Blessed Are the Peacemakers
1. In John 16:33 Jesus talked about the "peace" that is available to His followers.
a. This peace is in Christ, and we learn about it through His teachings.
b. We need this peace because of tribulation in the world.
c. In spite of tribulation, the Lord's people can be of good cheer because He has overcome
2. In His teaching Jesus also dealt with another type of peace.
3. This evening we are concentrating on the 7th Beatitude that Jesus gave in Matthew 5:9 -
"Blessed are the peacemakers."
4. To help us appreciate the seriousness of this Beatitude, let us first show . . .
I. HOW GOD FEELS ABOUT "PEACE" AND "CONFLICT"
A. David showed how God feels about "peace" in Psalm 133.
B. Solomon showed how God feels about "conflict" in Proverbs 6:16-19.
C. When we understand how God feels about "peace" and "conflict," perhaps we can more
fully appreciate why . . .
II. CHRISTIANS ARE REPEATEDLY TAUGHT TO PURSUE "PEACE"
A. (Romans 12:18) "If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men."
B. (Romans 14:19) "Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things
wherewith one may edify another."
C. (1 Thessalonians 5:13b) "And be at peace among yourselves."
D. (Hebrews 12:14) "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see
E. To help us understand what is involved in pursuing peace, let us consider . . .
III. TWO BIBLE CHARACTERS WHO WERE PEACEMAKERS
A. Abraham was a peacemaker (Genesis 13:7-9).
B. Isaac, Abraham's son, was also a peacemaker (Genesis 26:17-22).
IV. THE NEW TESTAMENT CONTAINS SOME SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS
A. Ephesians 4:1-3 ["endeavor"]
B. Philippians 2:1-4 [being considerate of others]
C. Colossians 3:12-13 [Christ is our example]
D. James 3:13-18 [pursue the right kind of wisdom]
E. 1 Peter 3:10-11 [controlling the tongue]
1. Being a peacemaker is not always easy.
2. Being a peacemaker can sometimes be quite challenging, especially in the world we live in today.
3. However, those who make peace will receive a great blessing -- "they shall be called the children
4. We learn how to become children of God in Galatians 3:26-27.