The Psalms 02
1. Psalm 1 presents information about 2 groups of people: "the righteous" and "the ungodly."
2. By carefully examining this Psalm, we learn:
a. how to be among "the righteous"
b. why we must strive to be among "the righteous."
I. A RIGHTEOUS PERSON IS DESCRIBED
A. (vs.1) To be among the righteous, a person must avoid certain things.
1. A righteous person does not walk "in the counsel of the ungodly."
a. "The ungodly" are wicked unrighteous people.
b. "The counsel" of such people must be avoided (Proverbs 4:14-17, 19).
2. A righteous person does not stand "in the way of sinners."
a. "Sinners" are those who habitually practice sin.
b. "The way" of such people must be avoided (Proverbs 1:10-16).
3. A righteous person does not sit "in the seat of the scornful."
a. "The scornful" despise and have contempt for things that please God.
b. "The seat" of such people must be avoided (Proverbs 22:10).
B. (vs.2) Positively, a righteous person:
1. delights "in the law of the Lord"
2. meditates on God's law continually (Psalm 119:97).
C. (vs.3) A righteous person will be blessed abundantly.
1. He will be like the tree pictured in this verse.
2. Whatever he does will prosper.
D. (vs.6a) The Lord knows "the way of the righteous" (1 Peter 3:12).
II. WICKED PEOPLE ARE DESCRIBED
A. (vs.4) "The ungodly" are compared to the chaff driven away by the wind (Matthew 3:12).
B. (vs.5) "The ungodly" will not be blessed.
1. They will not "stand in the judgment."
2. They will not be included with the righteous.
C. (vs.6b) "The way of the ungodly shall perish."
1. Psalm 1 shows us how to be righteous, and it shows us why we must be righteous.
2. Additional information is presented in 1 John 3:7 and Matthew 5:6.