The Apostle Peter
1. The apostle Peter wrote two of the New Testament "epistles" [letters].
a. 1 Peter 1:1-2
b. 2 Peter 1:1
2. These letters must be carefully studied and properly applied because:
a. they were written to Christians
b. the authority for Peter's teaching came from heaven (Matthew 16:17-19).
3. Before studying Peter's writings, let us review some personal information revealed in the Bible about him.
I. PETER'S BACKGROUND
A. His given name was "Simon," but he was also called "Peter" (Matthew 4:18).
B. Jesus named him "Cephas" (John 1:42).
C. His father was Jona (John 1:42) whose name also appears as "Jonas" (John 21:15).
D. His brother was Andrew (Matthew 4:18).
E. He was a fisherman (Matthew 4:18).
F. He and James and John were partners (Luke 5:10).
G. He was married (Matthew 8:14).
II. PETER'S SERVICE TO THE LORD
A. Andrew brought him to Jesus (John 1:35-42).
B. He left his fishing business to follow Jesus (Matthew 4:18-20).
C. He served Jesus as:
1. an apostle (Matthew 10:2)
2. an elder (1 Peter 5:1).
D. Jesus gave "the keys of the kingdom" to him (Matthew 16:19).
III. PETER'S ACTIVITIES
A. During the Lord's ministry:
1. he walked on the Sea of Galilee (Matthew 14:22-33)
2. he identified Jesus as God's Son
a. Matthew 16:13-16
b. John 6:66-69
3. he denied Jesus (Matthew 26:31-35, 69-75).
B. Following the Lord's resurrection:
1. he visited the empty tomb (John 20:1-7)
2. he saw Jesus by the Sea of Galilee (John 21:1-14)
3. he was the main spokesman on Pentecost (Acts 2:14)
4. he healed a man born lame (Acts 3:1-11)
5. he spoke with courage after he and John were arrested (Acts 4:1-13)
6. he questioned Ananias and Sapphira when they lied about their gift (Acts 5:1-11)
7. he brought Dorcas back to life (Acts 9:40)
8. he taught Cornelius, the first Gentile convert (Acts 10)
9. he spoke in Jerusalem about the conversion of the Gentiles (Acts 15:7-11).