Faith in Acts and the Epistles - 2
1. To know what God wants us to know about "faith" we must carefully examine the Scriptures.
2. In our study of faith we have examined:
a. Hebrews 11
b. passages in the Gospels.
3. In this lesson we are concentrating on some important points of information revealed in Acts
and the New Testament epistles [letters] about faith.
I. ACTS 14:27
A. When Paul and Barnabas completed their missionary journey they returned to Antioch and
"rehearsed all that God had done with them."
B. They also reported how God "had opened the door of faith unto the Gentiles."
II. THE EPISTLES
A. Romans 10:17
1. Faith comes by hearing God's Word.
2. However, in order for faith to develop God's Word must be heard correctly.
a. According to Hebrews 4:2, God's Word can be heard with no profit.
b. The proper way to hear is explained in Luke 8:15.
B. 1 Corinthians 2:1-5
1. Paul discussed the message he preached in Corinth.
2. His purpose for preaching his message was for people to have their faith stand "in the
power of God" and not "in the wisdom of men."
C. 2 Corinthians 5:7 -- God's people are to "walk by faith, not by sight."
D. Galatians 3:26-27 -- We become God's children "by faith in Christ Jesus" when we are
"baptized into Christ."
E. Ephesians 6:13-17
1. To stand against Satan we must put on "the whole armor of God."
2. A part of this armor is "the shield of faith" that enables God's people to "quench all the
fiery darts of the wicked."
F. Philippians 1:25 -- This verse mentions "joy of faith" (3:1a; 4:4).
G. Colossians 2:11-13 -- God forgives us when we are buried with Christ in baptism and raised
with Him "through faith of the operation of God."
H. 1 Thessalonians 1:2-3 -- Verse 3 mentions "work of faith."
I. 2 Thessalonians 1:3 -- The faith of God's people is to "grow exceedingly."
J. 1 Timothy 6:11-12 -- God's people are to follow after faith and "fight the good fight of faith."
K. 2 Timothy 1:5 -- Faith is influential.
L. Titus 2:2 -- Aged men are to be "sound in faith."
M. Philemon 4-6 -- Faith is to be heard about and communicated.
N. James 2:17,20,24,26 -- Faith without works is dead.
O. 1 Peter 5:8-9 -- Faith is a key to resisting Satan.
P. 2 Peter 1:5-7 -- Faith is the foundation upon which the Christian graces are to be added.
Q. 1 John 5:4 -- Faith will enable God's people to overcome the world.
R. 3 John 5 -- Gaius did whatever he did "faithfully" (1 Corinthians 4:2).
S. Revelation 2:10 -- To receive a crown of life God's people must be "faithful unto death."