The Psalms 06
1. We are presently studying a series of lessons from the Psalms.
2. According to Luke 24:44, the Psalms are part of the Old Testament Scriptures.
3. Thus, the Psalms "were written for our learning" (Romans 15:4).
4. In this lesson we are concentrating on the information revealed in Psalm 27.
5. This psalm emphasizes the importance of trusting God.
a. (vs.1-13) As he often did in his other psalms, David wrote about his relationship with God.
1) He also mentioned one of his experiences.
2) He showed how his experience caused his faith to be strengthened.
3) He had learned to trust God in all situations.
b. (vs.14) David exhorted his readers to heed the lessons he learned.
I. (vs.1) DAVID'S TRUST IN GOD ENABLED HIM TO OVERCOME FEAR
A. As he discussed his relationship with the Lord, David identified Him as:
1. "my light" (John 8:12)
2. "my salvation" (Acts 4:12)
3. "the strength of my life" (Philippians 4:13).
B. David's questions indicate that trusting God, as he did, eliminates "fear" (Hebrews 13:5-6).
II. (vs.2) DAVID TRUSTED GOD BECAUSE GOD HAD PROTECTED HIM FROM HIS ENEMIES
A. David mentioned an occasion when his enemies had sought to destroy him.
B. Because God protected David, his enemies "stumbled and fell" (2 Samuel 8:6b; Psalm 124).
III. DAVID'S EXPERIENCE GAVE HIM CONFIDENCE THAT GOD WOULD PROTECT HIM IN
A. (vs.3) David would not be afraid if an army of his enemies fought against him (vs.12).
B. (vs.5) David was confident that God would "hide" him and set him "upon a rock."
C. (vs.9) David asked God to never leave or forsake him.
D. (vs.10) David trusted God to take care of him, even when his parents forsook him.
IV. DAVID PLACED GREAT VALUE ON HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD
A. (vs.4) David wanted to abide in the Lord's house (vs.13; 23:6b).
B. (vs.6) David desired to worship God in the tabernacle.
C. (vs.8) David listened to God's instruction to seek His face.
V. DAVID'S DESIRE TO MAINTAIN HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD LED HIM TO MAKE
A. (vs.7) David requested God to "hear" him (1 Peter 3:12).
B. (vs.11) David asked God to teach and direct him (Proverbs 3:5-6).
VI. (vs.14) DAVID EXHORTED HIS READERS TO "WAIT ON THE LORD" AND TO "BE OF
GOOD COURAGE" (Isaiah 40:28-31)