The Beatitudes Lesson 04
1. We are presently studying "the Beatitudes" that Jesus presented at the beginning of His Sermon on the
Mount (Matthew 5:3-12).
2. In the Beatitudes,:
a. Jesus showed how people in different categories will be "blessed" [spiritually happy, well off,
b. Jesus gave His requirements for receiving these blessings.
3. In this lesson we are concluding a 2-part study of the first Beatitude (Matthew 5:3: "Blessed are the poor
in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven").
I. A BRIEF REVIEW OF OUR PREVIOUS LESSON
A. People who are "poor in spirit:"
1. are aware of their spiritual needs
2. recognize their spiritual condition
3. depend upon God for salvation.
B. Pride is the opposite of being "poor in spirit."
C. Jesus illustrated both characteristics in one of His parables (Luke 18:9-14).
D. By examining additional Bible characters we can better understand what is involved in being
"poor in spirit."
II. BIBLE CHARACTERS WHO EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS WITH PRIDE
A. Uzziah (2 Chronicles 26:3-5, 15-21)
B. Peter (Matthew 26:31-35, 69-75)
C. The elder brother (Luke 15:25-32)
D. Herod (Acts 12:20-23)
III. BIBLE CHARACTERS WHO WERE POOR IN SPIRIT
A. Gideon (Judges 6:14-16; 8:22-23)
B. Solomon (1 Kings 3:5-13)
C. Peter (Luke 5:1-11)
D. Paul (Ephesians 3:7-8)
1. Jesus requires His followers to be "poor in spirit."
2. Those who develop this characteristic will enjoy a great blessing: "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."