1. We are studying a number of Bible subjects that are associated with "final events."
2. Previously, we have examined passages that relate to 3 important events, including:
a. "the return of Christ" when everything will be destroyed
b. "the judgment" that will involve everyone
c. "the resurrection" when all the dead will be raised.
3. This lesson is a study of "Hades."
a. According to Revelation 20:13-14, Hades is a place that is associated with the resurrection and the
b. Note also that Hades is mentioned with "death."
1) We learn from Hebrews 9:27 that everyone must face death.
2) Death occurs when the spirit departs from the body (Genesis 35:18; James 2:26).
c. Hades is where the spirit goes after death to await the resurrection and the judgment.
d. We are concentrating on a few key passages that reveal the information that God
wants us to know about Hades.
I. (Luke 16:19-31) JESUS SHOWED WHAT HAPPENED TO A RICH MAN AND LAZARUS
A. These 2 men were quite different, but they had something in common -- they both died.
B. (vs.22) When Lazarus died, the angels carried him into Abraham's bosom where he was comforted
C. (vs.23) When the rich man died, he went to "torments" in Hades where he was tormented by a flame.
D. (vs.26) A great gulf is fixed between these locations where Lazarus and the rich man went to await the
resurrection and the judgment.
E. We know that the resurrection and judgment had not occurred because the rich man had 5 brothers who
were still alive.
II. DAVID AND PETER SHOWED WHAT HAPPENED TO CHRIST
A. About 1,000 BC, David wrote about God's Holy One (Psalm 16:8-11).
1. Concerning God's Holy One,:
a. His soul would not be left in Hades
b. He would not "see corruption"
c. He would be shown "the path of life."
2. Since David wrote in the first person, one might assume he was writing about himself, but we will
see that he was writing about Christ.
B. Before we allow Peter to explain David's prophecy, let us note that:
1. Jesus died on the cross (Luke 23:46)
2. before He died, Jesus said He would be in "paradise" that day with the thief who repented
C. Peter showed in Acts 2:22-32 that David had prophesied about the resurrection of Christ in
1. Peter emphasized the fact that the Lord's soul was not left in Hades (vs.31).
2. This implies that His soul went to Hades, the place of departed spirits.
3. On the third day after He died, His spirit was reunited with His body, and He was raised.
A. Hades is the temporary abode of departed spirits.
B. In Hades,:
1. there is a place of comfort where the souls of the righteous await the resurrection
2. there is a place of torments where the souls of the unrighteous await the resurrection.
C. At the resurrection Hades will deliver up the dead in it (Revelation 20:13).
D. The spirits will be reunited with their bodies.
E. God will give a spiritual body that pleases Him (1 Corinthians 15:38, 44).