The Beatitudes Lesson 06
1. We are presently studying "the Beatitudes" that Jesus presented at the beginning of His Sermon on the
Mount (Matthew 5:3-12).
2. In the Beatitudes,:
a. Jesus revealed a number of special blessings available to people in different categories
b. Jesus gave His requirements for receiving these blessings.
3. This lesson is the conclusion of a 2-part study of the 2nd Beatitude -- "Blessed are they that mourn:
for they shall be comforted" (Matthew 5:4).
a. When a person who is "poor in spirit" commits sin, his heart is filled with sorrow because he
realizes that he has transgressed God's will, and he "mourns."
b. Mourning over sin will lead a person to seek God's forgiveness.
c. When a mourning person receives God's forgiveness, he is able to enjoy great comfort.
4. In our lesson we are concentrating on this "comfort" and how to receive it.
I. THE COMFORT THAT GOD GIVES TO THOSE WHO MOURN IS ILLUSTRATED
IN PSALM 32
A. (vs.1-2) David declared how a forgiven person is "blessed."
B. (vs.3-4) David described his misery before he was forgiven.
C. (vs.5) David approached God for forgiveness.
D. (vs.11) A "righteous" person is able to rejoice.
II. JESUS CAME TO BLESS THE "BROKENHEARTED"
A. Isaiah 61:1-3
B. Luke 4:16-21
III. JESUS INVITES US TO COME TO HIM TO RECEIVE THIS BLESSING
A. He extends His Great Invitation in Matthew 11:28-30.
B. We learn how to come to Him for forgiveness from sins in Acts 2:37-38, 41, 47.
C. We learn how His followers receive forgiveness in 1 John 1:7-10.
D. When God forgives sins He no longer remembers them (Hebrews 8:12).
E. We learn how His followers receive grace and mercy in:
1. Hebrews 4:14-16
2. 1 Peter 5:7.
1. When we are "poor in spirit" we will "mourn" over our sins.
2. Mourning over our sins will lead us to seek forgiveness from God.
3. When we receive His forgiveness we are able to enjoy great comfort.
4. The principles we have been studying can basically be summed up in 2 passages:
a. Psalm 38:18
b. Proverbs 28:13.