The Beatitudes Lesson 11
1. According to Matthew 5:3-12, Jesus presented "the Beatitudes" as He began His Sermon on the Mount.
2. In the Beatitudes,:
a. Jesus revealed some special blessings that are available to His followers
b. Jesus gave His requirements for receiving these blessings.
3. This lesson is a study of the 6th Beatitude -- "Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God"
I. LET US FIRST DEFINE 2 KEY TERMS: "HEART" AND "PURE"
A. Heart: the inner being, the center of our thoughts and affections
B. Pure: free from corrupt desire, free from sin and guilt
II. HAVING A PURE HEART HAS ALWAYS BEEN IMPORTANT TO GOD
A. The importance of having a pure heart is stressed in Psalm 24:3-4; Proverbs 4:23.
B. God knows the condition of our hearts (Psalm 44:21; Proverbs 21:2b; Acts 1:24).
C. The condition of our hearts will affect our words and actions (Matthew 12:34-37; 15:18-19).
D. Religion that is not accompanied by a pure heart is hypocritical (Matthew 23:25-28).
E. Now that we understand the importance of having a pure heart, let us turn our attention to . . .
III. HOW THE HEART IS PURIFIED
A. God is the One who makes the heart pure (Psalm 51:10).
B. God purifies our hearts when we obey the Gospel.
1. 1 Peter 1:22-23; John 3:3, 5
2. Romans 6:17-18, 3-4
IV. HOW THE HEART IS KEPT PURE
A. God's Word must be hidden in the heart (Psalm 119:11).
B. God must be invited to search the heart regularly (Psalm 139:23-24).
C. Christ must be allowed to dwell in the heart (Ephesians 3:17a).
D. The heart must not become hardened (Hebrews 3:12-13).
E. Thinking on the right things is essential (Proverbs 23:7; Philippians 4:8).
1. In this Beatitude, Jesus showed that we must have pure hearts to see God.
2. Looking forward to seeing the Lord should motivate us to be purified (1 John 3:2-3).