3 Declarations in Psalm 19
1. Each year on July 4 we think about "The Declaration of Independence."
2. This evening we are examining "3 declarations in Psalm 19."
I. (vs.1-6) GOD'S CREATION DECLARES HIS EXISTENCE
A. The Bible begins by declaring that God exists (Genesis 1:1), and we must believe that He exists
to please Him (Hebrews 11:6).
1. Faith is not blind -- it is based on evidence (Hebrews 11:1).
2. Psalm 19 presents evidence -- the objects in the heavens speak to us.
B. (vs.1) The heavens declare God's glory, and the firmament shows His handiwork.
1. Those who believe the Bible know why this is the case.
2. The Bible says that God made the heavens and the firmament (Genesis 1:1, 6-8, 14-19).
3. Because the Bible teaches that God made the heavens and the firmament, we accept it through
faith (Hebrews 11:3); however, we can know that God exists without His Word.
4. By observing an object we can know something about it.
a. The fact that it exists indicates that it had a designer and creator.
b. If it is examined carefully, something can be known about its creator.
5. Consider the heavens, the firmament [the sky above the earth], the regular passing of days
and nights, and the sun with its effect upon everything on the earth.
a. These things have something to say to us.
b. They do not speak with a language that can be heard with the ears, yet they all tell us
something that can be heard in any language.
c. They tell us that someone created them and the creator is both powerful and intelligent.
6. (Romans 1:20) Paul used this argument to show that "the invisible things of God" [His eternal
power and Godhead] are revealed by the visible things of the world.
C. God's creation declares His existence, but to know His will we must turn to His revealed Word.
II. (vs.7-11) GOD'S WORD DECLARES HIS WILL FOR MAN
A. God's Word is described.
1. The law of the Lord is perfect.
2. The testimony of the Lord is sure.
3. The statutes of the Lord are right.
4. The commandment of the Lord is pure.
5. The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
B. God has revealed His Word for our benefit.
1. The law of the Lord "converts" [restores] the soul.
2. The testimony of the Lord makes the simple wise.
3. The statutes of the Lord cause the heart to rejoice.
4. The commandment of the Lord enlightens the eyes.
C. (vs.10-11) The judgments of the Lord recorded in His Word are precious.
1. They are to be desired more than much fine gold.
2. They are sweeter than honey from the comb.
3. Those who heed their warnings and keep them will receive a great reward.
III. (vs.12-14) THOSE WHO BELIEVE THAT GOD EXISTS AND WHO TAKE HIS WORD
INTO THEIR HEARTS WILL DECLARE CERTAIN THINGS
A. (vs.12) We will declare our desire to be cleansed of "secret faults."
B. (vs.13) We will declare our desire to avoid "presumptuous" [willful] sins.
C. (vs.14) We will declare our desire for our words and the meditation of our hearts to be acceptable
in God's sight (Psalm 139:23-24).
1. God's creation declares that He exists, and His Word declares His will.
2. Let us declare our desire to be in good standing with God.