1. In Ephesians 6:17b the Word of God is referred to as "the sword of the Spirit."
2. It is an important part of the armor of God that we must put on "to stand against the wiles of
the devil" (Ephesians 6:11).
3. We would be very wise to learn as much about the Scriptures as possible.
4. This evening, our lesson is based on Psalm 119.
5. This Psalm that consists of 176 verses reveals some important information that relates to
a. It describes God's Word.
b. It shows how God's people have certain responsibilities that relate to His Word.
c. It reveals some of the special blessings available to those who fulfill the responsibilities that
God has given in connection with His Word.
I. GOD'S WORD IS DESCRIBED
A. It is valuable (vs.72).
B. It is faithful (vs.86a).
C. It is settled (vs.89).
D. It is sweet (vs.103).
E. It is right (vs.128).
F. It is wonderful (vs.129).
G. It is pure (vs.140).
H. It is truth (vs.151).
I. It is everlasting (vs.160).
II. GOD'S PEOPLE HAVE RESPONSIBILITIES THAT RELATE TO HIS WORD
A. God's people must have vision to appreciate His Word (vs.18).
B. God's Word is to be:
1. kept and observed (vs.34)
2. trusted (vs.42)
3. loved (vs.47-48)
4. learned (vs.73)
5. meditated upon (vs.97)
6. respected (vs.117).
III. GOD PROVIDES SPECIAL BLESSINGS TO THOSE WHO FULFILL THESE
RESPONSIBILITIES THAT RELATE TO HIS WORD
A. (vs.1) Those who "walk in the law of the Lord" are "blessed."
B. Blessings include:
1. cleansing (vs.9)
2. power to overcome temptation (vs.11)
3. strength (vs.28)
4. hope (vs.49)
5. fellowship (vs.63)
6. understanding (vs.104)
7. light (vs.105)
8. joy (vs.162)
9. peace (vs.165)
10. understanding (vs.169).
1. All of this valuable information concerning God's Word is found in one Psalm.
2. Let us search all the Scriptures regularly and diligently to learn as much about them as possible
so we can "stand against the wiles of the devil."