1. On Sunday evenings we are studying the Lord's teaching recorded in Matthew 24-25.
a. (Matthew 23:36) While Jesus was speaking in the temple He pronounced destruction upon that
b. (24:1a) Jesus left the temple.
c. (24:1b) The disciples showed Jesus the temple and the surrounding buildings.
d. (24:2) Jesus told the disciples that the temple would be destroyed.
e. (24:3) The disciples asked Jesus several questions.
f. (24:4-28) Jesus answered the first question: "When shall these things be?" [When would the temple
a. Jesus warned His disciples not to be deceived.
b. He gave a number of signs that would occur before the temple was destroyed.
c. He gave His disciples instructions to follow so they would not lose their lives.
g. (24:29-35) As Jesus concluded what He had to say about the temple's destruction, He showed that
He would return at a later time.
3. Beginning at 24:36 Jesus talked at length about His return.
4. (24:36-51) Jesus emphasized the importance of watching and being prepared for His return.
I. (vs.36) JESUS TALKED ABOUT THE TIME OF HIS RETURN
A. He said that no man or angel knows when He will return [in Mark 13:32, Jesus included Himself].
B. However, the Father has appointed a day when Christ will judge the world (Acts 17:30-31).
1. Christ will judge the world when He returns (2 Timothy 4:1).
2. At that time everything will be destroyed (2 Peter 3:10).
II. (vs.37-39) JESUS COMPARED HIS RETURN TO THE FLOOD THAT OCCURRED IN
A. (Genesis 6:3-7) God set a day when He would destroy man.
B. Noah and his family followed God's instructions and were prepared for the flood (Genesis 6:14-22;
C. Everyone else failed to prepare and consequently perished in the flood.
D. When the time of the Lord's return arrives, it will be too late to get prepared.
E. We must follow the example of preparation set by Noah.
III. (vs.40-41) WHEN JESUS RETURNS A SEPARATION WILL OCCUR
A. Jesus implied that His return will be a surprise.
1. If the time of the Lord's return could be determined,:
a. would people be working in the field?
b. would women be grinding at the mill?
2. (1 Thessalonians 5:2) The day of the Lord will come "as a thief in the night."
B. This separation that will take place will be for eternity (John 5:28-29).
IV. (vs.42-51) JESUS GAVE SOME INSTRUCTIONS THAT RELATE TO HIS RETURN
A. (vs.42a) He said, "Watch."
1. (vs.42b) He showed why we must watch for His return.
2. He illustrated the importance of watching for His return in vs.43.
B. (vs.44a) He also said, "Be ready."
1. (vs.44b) He showed why we must be ready for His return.
2. He illustrated the importance of being ready for His return in vs.45-51.
a. (vs.45-47) Wise servants who serve their Master faithfully will be blessed.
b. (vs.48-51) Evil servants who do not serve their Master faithfully will be punished.
1. (vs.4-28) Jesus gave a number of signs that would indicate that the temple was about to be destroyed.
2. However, He gave no signs relating to His return (vs.36-51).
a. No one knows when that day will be.
b. We are to watch and be prepared for it.