1. Jesus taught His followers to watch and to be ready for His return (Matthew 24:42, 44).
2. We must be prepared because no one knows when He will return (Matthew 24:36), and
His arrival will be unexpected (1 Thessalonians 5:1-2; 2 Peter 3:10).
3. To help us be prepared we are studying the Lord's teaching in Matthew 25.
a. (vs.1-13) In the parable of the virgins, Jesus stressed the importance of being ready
for His return (see vs.13).
b. (vs.14-30) In the parable of the talents, He showed His followers how to be ready for
His return -- we must faithfully use the talents and blessings He gives us.
c. (vs.31-46) Jesus showed why we must be ready for His return -- when He returns we
will face Him in judgment.
I. JESUS TELLS US WHO WILL BE INVOLVED IN THE JUDGMENT
A. (vs.31a) Jesus will be involved.
1. He will come in His glory, and He will sit upon the throne of His glory.
2. When Jesus returns, He will serve as judge (John 5:22, 27; Acts 17:31).
B. (vs.31b) The holy angels will be involved.
1. They will accompany Jesus when He returns.
2. Their involvement is also mentioned in 2 Thessalonians 1:7-8.
C. (vs.32) All nations will be involved.
1. "All" will appear before the Lord's judgment seat (Romans 14:10-12; 2 Corinthians 5:10).
2. Included are "the quick and the dead" (2 Timothy 4:1).
II. JESUS TELLS US WHAT WILL HAPPEN AT THE JUDGMENT
A. (vs.32) The Lord will separate those who are gathered before Him.
1. This is compared to a shepherd separating his sheep from his goats.
2. (vs.33) The Lord will set one group on His right hand and the other on His left hand.
B. (vs.34-40) Those on the Lord's right hand will be blessed.
1. (vs.34) They will enter the kingdom prepared for them which is described as
"life eternal" (vs.46b).
2. (vs.35-36) They will be blessed because they ministered to the Lord.
3. (vs.37-40) They will have ministered to the Lord by serving others.
C. (vs.41-45) Those on the Lord's left hand will be cursed.
1. They will be condemned to a place of everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his
angels which is described as "everlasting punishment" (vs.46a).
2. They will be cursed because they did not minister to the Lord.
3. They will have failed to minister to Him by failing to serve others.
D. These 2 groups can also be seen in another parable (Luke 10:30-35).
1. In Matthew 25 the Lord teaches us:
a. to be ready for His return (vs.1-13)
b. how to be ready for His return (vs.14-30)
c. why we must be ready for His return (vs.31-46).
2. On the basis of the Lord's teaching, let us follow the instructions given in:
a. 1 Corinthians 15:58
b. Galatians 6:9-10.