1. When God spoke to Moses from the burning bush He identified Himself as "the God
of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob" (Exodus 3:6).
2. In Matthew 22:31-32 Jesus quoted this statement when He answered the Sadducees'
question about the resurrection to show that "God is not the God of the dead, but of the living."
3. This is interesting because Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob had died many years before God
spoke to Moses from the bush (Genesis 25:7-8; 35:28-29; 49:33).
4. In this lesson we are examining passages that teach us where these great men are.
5. Let us first consider several . . .
I. GENERAL MATTERS RELATING TO DEATH
A. Death is an appointment that everyone will keep (Hebrews 9:27).
B. Exceptions include Enoch (Genesis 5:24; Hebrews 11:5), Elijah (2 Kings 2:1, 11), and
those who will be alive when Jesus returns (1 Thessalonians 4:15).
C. According to James 2:26, death occurs when the spirit departs from the body.
D. Since death involves the spirit leaving the body, . . .
II. WHAT HAPPENS TO THE SOUL AFTER DEATH?
A. Let us examine what happened to two men who faced death (Luke 16:19-31).
1. (vs.22) When Lazarus died he was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom
where he was comforted (vs.25).
2. (vs.23) The rich man went to "Hades" [not "hell"].
a. He was in an area known as "torments."
b. (vs.24) He was tormented by a flame.
3. (vs.26) A great gulf is fixed between these two places.
B. Let us examine what happened to Christ.
1. (Luke 23:46) Jesus died on the cross (Matthew 27:50; Mark 15:37; John 19:30).
2. Before He died Jesus said He was going to paradise (Luke 23:43).
3. (Acts 2:22-32) Peter showed from Psalm 16:8-11 that the Lord's soul was not left in
"Hades" (vs.27, 31).
4. This implies that the Lord's soul went to Hades.
5. However, on the third day after He died, the Lord's soul was reunited with His body,
and He was resurrected.
C. Summarizing, after death occurs the soul goes to a place known as "Hades."
1. Hades: the temporary abode of departed spirits
2. In Hades,:
a. there is a place of comfort (Paradise, Abraham's bosom) where the souls of the
righteous await the resurrection
b. there is a place of torments where the souls of the unrighteous await the resurrection.
1. At the resurrection, "Hades" will deliver up the dead in it (Revelation 20:13).
2. The spirits will be reunited with their bodies.
3. God will give a spiritual body that pleases Him (1 Corinthians 15:38, 42-44).
4. Those alive when Christ returns will be changed (1 Corinthians 15:50-53).