The Sermon on the Mount 15
1. The Lord's teaching in Matthew 6:19-34 relates to having our priorities in the proper order.
2. Having proper priorities involves:
a. laying up treasures in the right place (vs.19-24)
b. not being anxious concerning "the necessities of life" [food, drink, clothing] (vs.25-34).
3. The necessities of life are important because we need them to live.
4. The Lord teaches us how we can avoid "being anxious" [worrying] about such things.
I. (vs.25a) THE LORD TELLS US NOT TO TAKE THOUGHT FOR OUR LIVES
A. When Jesus said, "Take no thought,":
1. it does not mean that we are not to think about our lives at all
2. it does mean that we are not to be anxious or filled with care about our lives, including food, drink,
B. After telling us not to be anxious about these things, . . .
II. THE LORD GAVE 6 REASONS WHY WE SHOULD NOT BE ANXIOUS OVER THE
NECESSITIES OF LIFE
A. (vs.25b) Our lives are more valuable than food and clothing.
1. Food and clothing are important because we must have them to live.
2. However, we live to fulfill a very high purpose (Ecclesiastes 12:13).
B. (vs.26) We are more valuable than the creatures that God has created.
1. Jesus talked about the birds of the air that the Father feeds.
2. Are not human beings much better than the birds? (see Matthew 10:29, 31)
3. If we are faithful to God, He will see that we have the necessities of life (Psalm 37:25).
C. (vs.27) Worrying will not change anything.
1. By worrying about how tall a person is, can he change his height?
2. See Philippians 4:6
D. (vs.28-30) We are more valuable than the plants that God has created.
1. Jesus talked about the beautiful lilies of the field that do not toil or spin.
2. If God cares so much for plants that are here today and gone tomorrow, will He not see that we
have sufficient clothing?
E. (vs.31-32) We are to avoid being like heathens in the world.
1. The "Gentiles" [heathen people who do not serve God] seek after food, drink, and clothing.
2. God's people should have higher priorities than pagan people who do not serve Him.
F. (vs.34) We have enough to be concerned about today without being burdened down with anxiety over
1. Let us not overlook the fact that we are to work (2 Thessalonians 3:12).
2. However, let us trust in the Lord to provide our daily needs (Matthew 6:11).
G. After showing us why we should not be anxious over the necessities of life, . . .
III. (vs.33) THE LORD TELLS US WHAT TO HAVE AS OUR TOP PRIORITIES
A. We must seek God's kingdom and His righteousness first -- God will bless those who do.
B. In Luke 10:38-42 we read about 2 sisters who had different priorities.
1. Because Martha was filled with care about many things, she failed to take advantage of an opportunity
to sit at the Master's feet and hear His teaching.
2. Jesus said that Mary chose that good part.
1. There are 2 ways of having the necessities of life.
a. We can have them as our top priority and put all of our energy into getting them.
b. We can seek God's kingdom and His righteousness first and trust that He will provide them for us.
2. To please God we must have His kingdom and righteousness as our top priorities.