The Sermon on the Mount 17
1. This lesson is a study of the Lord's statement recorded in Matthew 7:6.
2. Critics claim that this statement contradicts the Lord's instructions in vs.1-5.
a. In vs.1-5 Jesus condemned "judging."
b. It is apparent from vs.6 that the Lord is telling us to make certain judgments.
3. These passages do not contradict each other.
a. In vs.1-5 Jesus dealt with a particular kind of judging [a person condemning someone else for doing
the same thing he is guilty of doing].
b. In vs.6 Jesus talked about making a judgment based on the way a person responds to God's Word.
4. As we study any matter that involves judging we must remember the Lord's guidelines in John 7:24:
"Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment."
I. LET US EXAMINE THE THINGS THAT JESUS TALKED ABOUT
A. Jesus talked about things that are sacred and very valuable.
1. "That which is holy" refers to sacred things [things that are set aside for a sacred purpose].
2. "Pearls" are valuable and precious items [Jesus used a pearl to illustrate the value of His kingdom --
B. Jesus also talked about dogs and swine.
1. The Jews considered these animals to be unclean.
2. However, Jesus was not actually talking about animals.
3. He was referring to people who have no interest in spiritual matters.
a. Whether we admit it or not, some people are not interested in the truth of God's Word.
b. Jesus described the problem that such people have in Matthew 13:10-15.
C. Now that we understand what Jesus was talking about, . . .
II. LET US EXAMINE WHY THE LORD SAID THESE THINGS
A. Why does the Lord forbid giving that which is holy to dogs?
1. Holy things are set aside for a special purpose.
2. Dogs have no appreciation for holy things.
3. Notice what was to be done with holy and unholy meat under the Law of Moses.
a. (Exodus 22:31) Unholy meat was to be cast to the dogs.
b. (Leviticus 7:15-17) Leftover holy meat was to be burnt.
B. Why does the Lord forbid casting pearls before swine?
1. Pearls are very valuable and precious.
2. Hogs have no appreciation for the value of pearls.
3. Hogs are only concerned with fulfilling their basic desires.
4. If pearls were cast before a herd of swine they would only trample them under their feet.
5. Since hogs have no interest in the value of pearls they might even turn and attack.
III. LET US EXAMINE SOME ADDITIONAL PASSAGES WHICH HELP US UNDERSTAND WHAT
JESUS WAS TEACHING
A. Some people did not appreciate the Lord's teaching, and they turned on Him.
1. Luke 4:22, 28-29
2. John 8:30, 59
B. Jesus told His apostles to apply these principles when He sent them out on the limited commission
C. Notice how Paul responded to unbelievers (Acts 13:44-46).
1. The Lord wants us to teach His word and persuade people to come to Him.
2. However, He lets us know that some will be interested, and some will not.
3. If our efforts are rejected, we need to move on to someone else who may be reached.